The Japanese have a well-established entertainment industry, which is also one of the largest and most innovative in the world. There are plenty of attractions when it comes to Japanese entertainment, some of which are outlined below. This may come as a surprise, given the culture and language barrier.
- Amusement and Theme Parks – Japan has numerous amusement parks. The Tokyo Disney Resort is the most popular. It is just 15 minutes away from Tokyo station, by train. You’ll find lots of activities here to keep the entire family well entertained during your visit. A trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort is a great opportunity to appreciate Japanese talent in product design. The buildings, facilities and Disney features here are simply spectacular.
- Comics and Cartoons – Japanese comics and cartoons are very entertaining. The comics are known as manga while the cartoons are referred to as anime. A remarkable diversity is represented by Japanese manga and anime. Topics include culture, food, science fiction, and travel guides. They also cater to various ages and interest groups. Sailor Moon and Pokemon are two types of anime that have become popular in many other countries, besides Japan.
- Enka – If you appreciate Japanese culture, you’ll love enka music. This was popular before and shortly after the Second World War. Enka is still popular with the older generation in Japan as it allows them to relive the past. Enka performances dwell on various topics, including unlucky love and family cohesion. Women singers usually wear kimonos when performing and display an amazing diversity of kimono fashion.
- Karaoke – When you accompany the instrumental version of a song by singing the lyrics, this is referred to as karaoke. As you sing, the lyrics are displayed on a screen. Karaoke is a great way to entertain others, have fun and be entertained. It also allows you to explore your musical and artistic talents. Karaoke shops and bars are highly popular and are found all over Japan. Karaoke players also perform in homes.
Although this form of entertainment has its origins in Japan, it has rapidly become popular in many countries across the world. If you’d like to enjoy karaoke at home, you can download karaoke players and sound files from the internet. Karaoke entertainment has actually become a major business opportunity for many people.
- Japanese Pop Music (J-Pop) – This is an interesting reflection of Western and Japanese music. Most of the lyrics in J-Pop are in Japanese although many songs have an English title or contain English expressions. The mingling of Japanese and Western culture in J-Pop creates a unique blend of music that is loved both in Japan and Western countries.
Tokyo Disney Resort (2012)